Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Volume Seventy-Three: ~20 Albums I can Listen To Straight Through (04/25/10)

 (The disclaimer below actually speaks for itself.)

Disclaimer time...I came up with the idea of listing ~20 albums I can listen to all the way through and wrote the original list in about a 15-minute span between 3:15 and 3:30 AM Friday/Saturday as I went to bed. So if I left something out, put it on being tired. Also, the list is what I said it is: it's not a listing of favorites (the ranking would have been too hard). Not even saying I like every song on these albums: sometimes it's about track placement.

All of the albums were released after I was born, so there aren't any real 'classic' albums here. The latest was released in 2007. I'm almost positive most of the albums were released in the 90s. I may be off a year on release dates but I don't feel like looking them up. No remix albums, no greatest hits albums, no EPs (there is one soundtrack). Anyway, here's the list...and as always, commentary is welcome.




Off The Wall, Michael Jackson (1979) - It helps that the album is only 10 songs (brevity is rewarded in this list). Of greater help is that the 10 songs are those 10.

Thriller, Michael Jackson (1982) - Do I really need to say anything about this one? Didn't think so, but I'll say that I actually prefer the non-hits (relatively speaking) to the hits.

Bad, Michael Jackson (1987) - "It wasn't as good as Thriller"...and/so? Depending on the situation/mood, I'd rather listen to Bad. People sleep on this album: it's highly underrated to me.

Tender Lover, Babyface (1989) - One of the best R&B albums ever made, at the very least one of the best in the subgenre of that late 80s-early 90s R&B sound. Once you get to 'My Kinda Girl', it's a wrap.

The Revival, Tony Toni Tone (1990) - As one might imagine, most of my commentary is the same on this album as the one before. When 'I Care' comes on, though, I just go to a different place.

The Low End Theory, A Tribe Called Quest (1991) - This made me love hip hop. Nothing but respect for Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, and the pioneers...but this album did it.

Dangerous, Michael Jackson (1991) - Believe it or not, Low End came out before this. Other than that, commentary is similar to that for Bad - and yes, this is the last Michael album on the list.

Poisonous Mentality, Poison Clan (1992) - Changed my life forever...well, this and things I noticed based on this album.

What's My Name, DJ Uncle Al (1992) - This might be my favorite album ever recorded because it does what it's supposed to do better than any album I've ever heard.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, OutKast (1994) - Up-north people and so-called "true hip hop heads" talk about ATLiens and Aquemini. I'll take this one right here.

The Legend Continues, Jam Pony Express (1994) - It didn't even have their biggest hit. They didn't need it. The only full-length album the group ever released...but it was great.

New Jersey Drive soundtrack, Various (1995) - One of the things I love about this soundtrack is its eclectic nature. East. West. South. R&B. Reggae. And a little Frankie Beverly and Maze to boot.

Young Rich & Dangerous, Kris Kross (1995) - This is the one I expect to catch it about. After Da Bomb, I wasn't sure about it. Friend told me to listen to it. I did. That was it.

New Beginning, SWV (1996) - If I don't catch it about the above album, I will for this one. Great listening, though: nice and calming...what R&B is supposed to be, most of the time.

Reasonable Doubt, Jay-Z (1996) - Same friend recommended this one that recommended Kris Kross. After BIG's one line (if you've heard it, you know) I didn't need to hear the rest of the album. The rest was good anyway.

In My Lifetime Vol. 2, Jay-Z (1998) - Some of the greatest lines ever were on this album. That 'Reservoir Dogs' is classic.

400 Degreez, Juvenile (1998) - Funny thing is it took me two months to like 'Ha'. My roommates played this album until I got tired of it. All that said, this album is great.

Part III, 112 (2001) - Another album for which the first release had to grow on me. The rest of the songs needed no such adjustment period.

Songs About Jane, Maroon 5 (2002) - That's right, 2002. People slept on this one for two and a half years. I have no idea how, looking back. I said these weren't ranked, but if there was a #1 on this list this would be it without question.

Crunk Juice, Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz (2004) - I originally had something else in the "20 spot". I prefer Kings of Crunk (which was not the "something else") overall. This gets the nod for its eclectic nature and tracks 8-11 on Kings being a veritable dead zone.

It Won't Be Soon Before Long, Maroon 5 (2007) - IIRC, I bought this and TI vs. TIP on the same day. TI is my favorite rapper. I'd waited for months for that one - and this one too, but more eagerly for that. This got more play in the ride. It didn't capture me as much as Songs About Jane, but only because I already knew who they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment