Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Volume One Hundred Eleven: 2010 Truths (12/30/10)

 (Disclaimer speaks for itself yet again...)

So the original plan was to end the year with the last note, but there were just some things I had to get off my chest. No, there won't be 2010 items here - not even I wish to write that much at one time. These are all statements regarding the year that will soon see its end. (Ed. note: that was the original plan, but things change)




1. I'm sorry, but if I knew Jenn Sterger when she was at FSU in 2005...let's just say a lot of sisters may have just had to be mad at me - and they'd have just had to deal with it.

2. People in Haiti - and New Orleans, for that matter - still need our help. Just saying...that extra bottle Friday won't be that important, will it?

3. Somewhat taking from #2, if we all found a cause and gave $10 - or an hour, for those of us on a budget - a week, I think we'd all be surprised at how much better the world would be.

4. Rick Scott is an orifice. Sorry, it just has to be said. Again.

5. Some of y'all need to go back to 2008 and listen to TI and Rihanna's "Live Your Life".

6. Happiness is too important to be pushed to the side. If something else in your life is making yours seem secondary, there may need to be some re-evaluation in your future.

7. Some women used to say that "fine don't pay no bills", and that's true. Let me tell y'all what fine also doesn't do: it doesn't make a sandwich, it doesn't raise a child, it doesn't clean a house (not saying this is exclusive, but some people can't keep their own spaces clean), and it doesn't even do what many of us think it does.

8. Some of y'all aren't going to make it to 2012 with me...I'm not saying you won't make it at all, but you might not be around when I get to where I'm going. Same may be true for me with some of y'all. That's fine: "season in, season out" is a part of life.

9. Sometimes the only difference between what you do and who you are is repetition.

10. If you are a male or nontraditional female and don't like to dance, fight night at King of Diamonds may be the greatest thing ever.

11. If CompUSA's general business model is like its CDs, I can see why the Tallahassee store went out of business. If these things were coasters the table would still get wet. Oh well: won't be a problem anymore come next week.

12. This fight has been lost, but I'm still going to say it: health care reform with no public option is no health care reform at all. When it's all said and done (which is certainly not yet, according to Republicans), it may end up being more trouble than it was worth.

13. Everyone who longs for the days of when the east coast rules rap needs to just shut up. Actually, scratch that: after the 15 initial seconds of irritation, there comes a feeling of amusement that I thoroughly enjoy. Somewhat related: Iceberg can really rap. I'm not saying he always does, but that he can.

14. If you look to the left and look to the right and think neither of them is an idiot, chances are decent that both of them think you are (and don't give me that "we're all smart" nonsense, because people love to compare themselves to the next person - especially if they feel they come out on top). Whether you prove them right is up to you.

15. One for the fairer sex: no, not all of the girls in your clique are cute. In most cases there are one or two cute ones, one that's not up to par with the rest of the group, and the rest are alright with room for potential if their personalities are straight.

16. Sports and politics are basically two roses of a different color.

17. To my conservative friends, particularly those in Florida...I understand that many of you lean to the political right because you "don't want government to take all your money via taxes". That's cool: I can somewhat get with that idea. Problem with that is that our mind-numbingly consservative House and slightly-better Senate have passed more than a few fee increases in the past few years. Not just talking about increases in speeding fines and whatnot, but for things we all have to do (registering vehicles, etc). That oney goes to the state, of course...which makes it no different than a tax. If you add the fees together, the amount would likely equal that of a 1% state income tax for many Floridians. Long story short: a fee is a tax, just by a different name...so you're voting for higher taxes, whether you know it or not.

18. After #15, one for the men: Mr. T is the only black man who can make a Mohawk haircut look cool. The rest of y'all need to stop trying. Seriously: I spent more time laughing at y'all this year than I needed to.

19. If Rick Scott wants to cut a workforce to help people out, he should go to ESPN and fire the following: Stu Scott, Matt Millen, Linda Cohn (I'm tired of hearing her talk about how great hockey is), Brian Windhorst, TJ Quinn, Mark Fainaru-Wada, Scott Van Pelt, Gene Wojciechowski, Jemele Hill, Howard Bryant (with the quickness), Rick Reilly, Kenny Mayne, a few other people, and of course one Erik Kuselias. Chris Broussard is only spared because soemone taught him how to read this summer.

20. This may be really corny, but it's a truth so it's going here: I wish all of y'all the best in 2011. Whatever that means to you or for you, hopefully you get it and much more in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment