So, as most everyone knows; I decided three months ago that I was done with women/dating. In this time, I have thought about a few things and I am still as grounded as ever in my decision. I don’t think I ever gave expanded reasoning for it, other than outlining the events that led to it. I’ll go ahead and do that, under the guise of explaining why it is so easy to stick with it.
1. I’m not the guy that women go for.
Where else was I going to start? Now, I’m not going to self-deprecate so y’all can calm your nerves on that. I think I’m a pretty good guy, as discussed in the worth/value piece a while back. However, I’m not “that guy”. I’m never going to be the one that women run to - or, along the lines of this piece, no one’s going to ask me to/want to change my mind. I have not robbed humanity of any great reward. I think women are doing fine without me. Thankfully, the reverse is also true.
2. I stay in the house most of the time.
As any of you who are familiar with Tallahassee know, there aren’t many reasons to leave the house at night if you are over the age of 25. Tallahassee has very few social options if you are no longer a college student, and the few that it does have are incredibly boring for the most part. That leaves two options: be the old guy at the club (which I can get away with because only the doorman will ever know or believe I’m 33) or pal around at places where Marvin Sease is the man of the hour.
3. There simply are not that many attractive options.
Let me tell y’all why session is the greatest thing ever: it is the only time you have that many women of a certain caliber in the same place at the same time. This being the college town that it is, I’m a good 10 years older than 80% of the pool of women that I (would) find aesthetically talented, and I really can’t see myself dating anyone who was born after Ronald Reagan took office the second time. In all honesty, my strong hypothetical preference would be someone who was born before he took office the first time. Anyway, session has talented women by the bushel…and when sine die comes, they disappear. It’s saddening.
4. I have a strong memory, and it serves as a shield.
I’m not going to say that I’ve had the worst romantic experiences of all time. Some of them were pretty good. However, all have been undone by subsequent actions. That resulting hurt is not something that goes away easily. As Eddie Griffin once said, pain will give you a reminder of what not to do. He was talking about a different kind of pain, but I’ve had some feelings and some visits to the land of frustration that I’d rather not relive.
5. Outside of women/dating, my life has been nearly perfect for the last five years or so.
Do I have my dream job? No. Am I in my desired tax bracket? Please. However, I have grown exponentially as a person and enjoy being me as much as I ever have. I used to feel like I had to be me; and now I feel like I want to be me. Outside of a couple bad experiences with school and a situation at home, things have been spotless…outside of women/dating/relationships. I’m not necessarily blaming anyone or saying that I was perfect throughout the alluded-to ordeals. I just know how to identify patterns. The only times I’ve been down have been when something went wrong in the dating area.
6. I don’t live in South Florida.
If I lived at home, my life would be much different. My friends would absolutely not allow #2 to be true. I don’t even think my mom would go for it, although she’d rather me do things that ended before midnight. I’d be here or there watching a game or I’d be at some frat party (not quite like the ones here) or I’d be out at Hard Rock…maybe even South Beach if someone else felt like driving. I don’t think #3 would be true if I lived down there either.
7. I’m old.
I was born in 1978. My attractiveness is on a downward trend as my age goes up. Twenty-somethings are the most desired beings on the planet. I’m on the wrong side of that and I’m obviously not going to get any closer to it as time goes on. This is the biggest reason that I think this will stick: for some odd reason, a lot of women think there’s something wrong with a man who’s in his 30s and has no marriage or children to speak of.
---
Throw all that together and it becomes clearer why this has been so easy for me. Add in some resolve - which most of you know I have - and you can see this lasting as long as I say it’s going to.
"...for some odd reason, a lot of women think there’s something wrong with a man who’s in his 30s and has no marriage or children to speak of."
ReplyDelete*nods in agreement*
You know what: I'm going to ask some women I know about this. I think I heard someone talk about it on VSB, with their explanation being that the man hasn't proven that he can take care of someone else or that "there has to be a reason", supposing that there's something wrong with him.
DeleteNot sure I'm happy to hear all this, but I certainly have no place telling anyone how to plot out their life. I will say that I encourage you to keep your heart open to the possibility of meeting and dating the woman who is right for you. It can and will happen, but I believe it's self-defeating to create boundaries to keep out things you could very find enjoyment and success in.
ReplyDeleteI think the one thing I wanted to get out with this (not sure how well I did) was that this came out of resignation much more than it did frustration. I didn't rant and rave and say "I'm through" and make angry generalizations. I looked at the landscape and decided that this was the best path. Is it desired? Definitely not. I still believe in love. I just believe that I'm one of the people it's not meant for.
Deletehmm...
ReplyDeletei have a few thoughts on this post. both specific and general.
generally, i think more people should be like you. you are very self-aware without being self-deprecating. even if someone were to try and get you to change your mind, many other things would have to change first.
specifically:
I’m not the guy that women go for - women for the past how many years have been given conflicting advice on this. But over all - if you are of a certain age/generation, most women aren't pursuing. they are hoping to be pursued. you have removed yourself from that equation. for reasons that are valid to you.
#3 lends to #2 - if you don't leave the house, how can you know about the rate of attractive women? people move etc...
the pool of women, tends to fall in the same demographic, but just like you fall outside of it, there have to be at least some women that fall outside of it as well.
The over 30/single with no kids is not looked at strangely by women. It's a segment of the black population who have seen single moms the majority of their lives. At 27, I was asked by ex, how i'd manage to never been pregnant (meaning no abortions or miscarriages). The shock on his face, was sad to me. The fact that I've had more offers to make someone a baby vs become their wife is sad to me. We need to do and EXPECT better as a people. Things happen of course, but if I should become pregnant before I become a wife, Im still going to strive for it. And push my kids for the same thing.
At the end of the day, what do you want? Do you want a wife and kids? Is is part of what you see at the end of your life? If so, how is this hiatus going to help you? How/when do you plan on transitioning out of it? If you feel like you are old now, you do realize you are getting older right?
As I said, I respect you and your decision. You have to do what is best for you and your heart. At some point though, this hiatus, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Life doesn't come to you, you have to go to it!
Ok. Im done now. LOL. dont hate me. ;)
First, you know I could never hate you. Ever. Second, thank you for the compliment in the "generally" section. Now...
DeleteNot being the guy women go for...this has always been true. I've never been that flashy "I'm so and so: I'm this, I'm that" (shout out to KRS-ONE) type guy. My friends have always been more - uh, outgoing - and they've always been the ones that get all the attention. It was that way in HS, it was that way in undergrad, it was that way in grad school. It's worked well in one way: the women I have been with have known me for me and not for some legend, whereas women who've dated friends of mine have had trouble separating the public personas from the actual people.
#2...things in Tallahassee never change. The same people, even as they age, go to the same spots every week - especially after the age of 25. If I want to find any one of a number of people, all I have to do is go to the Moon on Saturday. I know I'm going to see a lot of the guys I was in Poison with. I know I'm going to see my ex. I know I'm going to see some other people that I may know from here or there. This is more of a Tallahassee thing, I will say.
Over 30, etc...I wish I could remember which post this was on, but this was on VSB a while back and it made the rounds on Twitter a couple weeks ago. I totally agree that we need to do and expect better. As far as being less attractive as I get older, that was part of my point.
I want to be married and have children and all: that's never changed. I just don't see it happening. It's simply not in the cards for everyone, and I see myself as being one of the people for whom it won't happen. Much of the reason for that is that I'm a very difficult person to reach that point with. Because of that, I'm more comfortable with it than most expect or realize.
Funny I'm talking about this right before I get ready for a wedding :)