Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Dress Code

I’ve been thinking lately that I need to upgrade my wardrobe. “So what”…well, honestly; there’s a little bit more to it than that. The upgrade thoughts - and I’ll admit, a certain vodka commercial…even though I don’t drink - led to the idea that I should establish a new dress code for myself (for lack of a better term). The basic outline is below.


1. No athletic gear outside the house unless I’m doing something related to athletics or with some other physical component.

As much as I used to love wearing a Jordan shirt and shorts to class, I think those days have gone by. I can just as easily - and if not, I should be able to - throw on a shirt and a pair of jeans with some shoes to do whatever.

2. No short-sleeve shirts unless absolutely necessary.

By “absolutely necessary”, I mean “the only options I have”. In the case of collared short-sleeve shirts, it seems like they scream “I’m just trying to fit the dress code at work” (Ed. note: sorry for all the quotes). They just don’t look right to me, and that doesn’t even get into short-sleeve dress shirts - which you’ll never see me wear anyway. Wait, there’s another type of short-sleeve shirt I left out.

3. T-shirts will only be worn if/when there is a particular message I want to convey with said shirt.

Outside a couple Miami graphic tees, I can’t remember the last time I wore a graphic tee anywhere. Shame, because I have a few. They’re not bad-looking shirts either. They just don’t fit into my scheme like they used to. I have a few other tees with messages (one supporting blood donation, one supporting HBCUs, one supporting FAMU in particular, etc), but I really don’t even wear those that often.

4. No shorts…pretty much ever.

This isn’t much of a departure from my normal modus operandi, and is really covered in #1 as I have no shorts that aren’t athletic in nature and couldn’t see myself wearing any. I don’t get hot easily, so wearing pants or jeans won’t be a concern on that level.

5. Sneakers are included in athletic gear, so that pretty much means the end of them.

Now this one’s going to hurt, since I have several pairs of Jordans. It’s a habit for me to find a pair and just go. Not only that, but replenishing my shoe supply is going to be expensive. Actually, I probably only need two pairs (it’d be one if I didn’t somehow lose a shoe in Atlanta). Problem is, I like going out. Bad things can happen to shoes when one goes out. That makes me a little hesitant on the shoe thing, but I’ll manage.

---

That’s pretty much it. May get another sport coat or two if I can find something on the low, but I think this ‘more refined’ look will be cool. Of course, I always reserve the right to revert when the situation warrants. One thing I’d like to make clear before I get out of here: this has nothing to do with attracting anyone. It’s a completely personal decision - not to mention the fact that I've sworn off women/dating anyway. Time to move forward and make some changes.

5 comments:

  1. I love a well dressed man. Change is always good. Even during the summer months in FL, no short sleeve? I can't imagine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really been one for short sleeve shirts. I never get hot, so the weather doesn't bother me. I just think long sleeve shirts look better on me...now this may change if I'm going to the beach or something, but if I'm inside a long sleeve shirt works fine.

      Delete
  2. Pardon the pun but I'm going to follow 'suit' on your list. I've been going over my belongings and decided that I simply own too much. Clothing is a heavy side of that.
    I've clothes that I've owned for 20 years. I take exceptionally good care of my things. However, I also have the hardest time letting go.(Since you've read my blog, you know that all too well.)
    Anyway, great post. You've given me some thoughts to use as parameters for establishing my own dress code. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of clothes too: going to take them home the next time I go so my church can give them away or something. My parents are probably going to think I'm crazy, but oh well.

    Did you tell Blogspot about not having a reply thing? If you did, they must really like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I did not communicate with blogspot. Lol. Church. I could have thought of that.

      Delete