Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dorner Situation Thoughts



I hadn’t planned on this being a two-entry day, but if you watch the news at all…you understand it’s not an ordinary day.

I’m honestly conflicted as to whether I support Chris Dorner. I am not conflicted at all as to how I feel about his stated cause, which is police corruption. Two of my best friends in life and one of my cousins are police officers. I’m sure they would all agree with me that police corruption is a serious problem: maybe not in their units (maybe so), but certainly in general.


If you read Dorner’s manifesto, you either think he’s a raging fool or a misguided avenger. That sentiment probably depends on a few things, and I probably don’t have to spell out what those things are.

As someone who’s been harassed by police officers continuously for almost 20 years, it’s really easy for me to sympathize with Dorner – if for no other reason than to say “[NWA song title]”. I hope he lives, even though I know it’s not happening unless he remains a fugitive. I think the man has a story to tell – and that LAPD doesn’t want him to tell it.

The manifesto gets into this, but I’m almost positive there’s more to the story than is even in the document. If you’ve ever seen one of those movies where corruption is revealed (that was the goal of Exit Wounds), I see it like that. I think there’s a whole lot of police nonsense – in many places, not just LA – that would get out if Dorner were allowed to talk to Oprah.

That would be the police’s worst nightmare. Remember ‘A Few Good Men’ and how Jessup didn’t want anything to get out about how he ran that base? His main problem with Kaffee was that Danny had the unmitigated gall to question his activities and those of his subordinates.

Same thing here: this isn’t about stopping Dorner’s blood from running as much as it is about stopping his mouth from doing the same. Watch how this thing gets covered up when it ends. You won’t hear too much about Chris Dorner because the story is bigger than Chris Dorner. Dorner knows that. He told us so. If LAPD has anything to do with it - and they will - he won't tell us anything else...and it's our responsibility to ask anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not conflicted.

    I'm against police corruption and the focus that police in this country have on people that look like me. As if we're the reason why so much crime occurs in the first place. The police would seem to profile us for everything; however, they don't seem concerned about profiling white men when it comes to walking into movie theatres or schools or malls and shooting 15 or 20 people. Of course, its really possible to do that.....but profiling me is just as ridiculous.

    Now as far as the taking of innocent lives is concerned, I'm against that. Hopefully Dorner is dead so that he can't murder anyone else....if he isn't, hopefully he will be soon.

    No I don't trust the police. The police are made up of people and people lie. No, I don't trust the police, I'm sure they did everything he said they did. But that doesn't diminish what he did either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a certain kind of person to be a police officer. Whether good or bad, they place a much heavier value on their judgments than they do on the judgments of others. I wanted, very badly, to be an officer of the law. That is, until I met some of the lies that officers so commonly tell on minority youth. CHANGED MY LIFE. I studied Psychology and learned a lot about what it took to be a cop.
    No, I don't think cops are bad. I just don't think they require the amount of authority and trust that has allowed many to become so very corrupt. They need much closer oversight. You cannot have the "crooked trying to make the bent, straighter." I openly cheered for Dorner to give LAPD airtime and expose their corruption with their pursuit of him. That both happened and did not happen. The media failed us and EVERY LA area resident. The next innocent death caused by the LAPD is blood on the hands of the media as well. The system is broken. It will not be fixed.

    ReplyDelete