I found out a few minutes ago that Junior Seau died,
apparently from a self-inflicted shot to the chest. This makes me feel odd in a
number of ways: some of which are more relevant than others.
The main thought I have is “what in the world made him kill
himself: he had money, fame, respect, and if he picked five women on any random
day he could probably get with four of them”. Just goes to show that in his
case and that of other athletes who’ve committed similar acts, we as fans don’t
know what’s going on in their heads.
It was easy to see that something wasn’t right with Junior’s
life after he and his SUV went off the road and down the side of a mountain. If
I remember correctly, he was accused of hitting his girlfriend right around the
same time and the two events were believed to be related. I still don’t get why
men in those situations (i.e. when they attract plenty of women) don’t just hit
the Nino Brown - without the wine-pouring - and say “cancel that -----, I’ll
buy another one”. Why deal with stress when you don’t have to?
Now, it’s unknown (at least to me) whether the shooting is
related to the above incidents. Let’s say that it is, since running yourself
off the road to a 30-foot fall and shooting yourself in the chest are likely to
bring similar results. Why wouldn’t Junior just give it up?
He was better off than probably 98 percent of men in the
world. He was rich and he was in shape. To the outside world, he was living the
life of Riley. However, with all that he had he still felt something more
powerful that forced him to throw all that away, along with the rest of his
life.
So now I wonder “how did his thought process get so jacked
that he made this decision”. Was it a chemical imbalance of some sort? Did he
just place such a different level of priority on some things that they
outweighed others so immensely? Was there something early in his life - a ghost
from his past of some sort - that he kept trying to chase? While it’s so easy
to say that some external factor caused this to happen, we also have to
remember that this ultimately falls on Seau because he made the decision to end
his own life.
That’s the thing with suicides. They don’t happen unless
there is both an external rationalization and an internal motivation. People
can want to do it, but not have anything to take them to that point. People can
go to that point, but something can stop them. Unfortunately, Seau was in
neither of those hypothetical groups.
I would be one of the 98 percent: I’d quickly trade places
with - and take ten years off my life - to have the life that (I think) Seau
had. The strange thing is that he probably would have traded places with me
too.
Crazy to think about it. I grew up admiring Seau, especially since he was on my favorite/home team.
ReplyDeleteI do not think very highly of people who commit suicide. I personally, have wanted to die. I have never been even marginally close to posturing myself in such a way as death could befall me. I cannot relate. But I would kill people to get the life I have(and most Americans from the U.S. would laugh at that...but I understand & I am happy to be myself). But I agree with you, he seemingly had it all. Just give me five years of that...the things I'd do.
The lasting memory I'll have from his death is that of his mother speaking later that afternoon (I wrote this before I saw her on TV - this likely would have been much different otherwise). I don't know how anyone could commit suicide after seeing what his did to her.
Delete