Thursday, May 3, 2012

Opportunity


Opportunity is a funny thing…well, to be more correct, we act funny when it comes to opportunity. We always talk about how much we want it, and then it comes and we - well, act funny.

If a new professional opportunity comes up, we start to wonder about the corresponding changes we’ll have to make if we take the opportunity. Will I have to move? Will I get along with new people? What about the old people? Am I leaving something behind?


If a new romantic opportunity comes up, we wonder about the person. Is this person really the one? Do they like me? How do I proceed? What are their faults? Can I live with this or that? Will my friends like this person? Will this person’s friends like me?

Other opportunities can come up as well, and we will ask ourselves similar questions. Of course, much of this has to do with our natural resistance to change: something that varies among individuals. Personally, I don’t like jumping before seeing where I’m going to land. I know about walking in faith and I’ve gotten better about it, but still. Certainty is important.

I say all this to say that I possibly have a tremendous opportunity before me. There are still a couple of things that have to work out, but I may be on to something big. I was talking to my mom about it and I noticed myself mentioning the uncertainty of it all rather than the excitement. What if this happens? What if that doesn’t happen? Where will I end up? What will happen to me?

Now, none of this means I won’t go for it. I clearly will. It just means that I think I’m focusing on the wrong things. I may as well have fun with the possibility and deal with whatever happens as it comes. If it works out, great (I’ll let you all know as it gets closer: should be around my birthday if things go as hoped). If not, then it just doesn’t. I’ll survive. Always have so far.

Anyway, we always talk about how we would embrace and grab hold of opportunity…but when it comes, we sit on our hands. We may even go for it physically or logistically, but we don’t go for it mentally…

…maybe it’s not a “we” thing. Maybe it’s just me. I know I can come back from things that don’t go right. Worst case scenario is exactly what I have now, which isn’t exactly a death knell…although it is far from optimal and then I’ll have disappointment to deal with. But then again, the only way you can fall is if you were somewhere elevated to begin with.

And who says I’m going to fall anyway?

3 comments:

  1. Naw, you are not alone in any of it. The extent to what you experience however, may alone, be yours.
    I'd love to emptily encourage you but I am not plus in that. If you want it, you will do your best to obtain it. If you don't know what you want, you may end up with a jerk like the ladies do on Wednesday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pretty much what you said...although I'm a bit lost on the Wednesday reference. Maybe that's because it's almost 2.

      Delete
  2. Isn't Wednesday Ladies night? Or is that Thursday? Or does it change from place to place?

    ReplyDelete