It took me a while to think of something to write concerning
Black History Month. Then, an idea hit me. What follows is the written
illustration of that idea.
Most people reading this know a decent amount of black
history. If you don’t, Google and Wikipedia are your starting-point friends (I
repeat: starting-point friends). One of the problems with black history is
that…well, let people tell it; this current generation – casting a wide net on
this one, so I’ll say “people under 40” – will only be a part of history when
it becomes history.
Now I can’t imagine anyone in this group wanting that to be
the case. I know I don’t. People talked about how this generation could be the
first one to so worse than its predecessor financially at one point during the
recession. We don’t want to approach a similar fate in other areas of life too.
I know what my parents went through. I obviously know what
they accomplished. I’m sure the same goes for many of you, and the idea of us
collectively doing less with more has me feeling rather uneasy (to be kind). I
kept thinking about this and one word came to mind. You’ll pick up on what that
is rather easily as I outline what we need to do.
1. Challenge ourselves
As is the case with any widespread movement, the first steps
have to be taken internally. I’m sure every last one of us can think of one
thing that we could do (better) to improve our station in the bigger picture.
If we all do our part, those actions will add up: and this is one of those
situations in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
2. Challenge our parents
Those of us who are fortunate enough to still have our
parents – although this can also apply to aunts, uncles, grandparents:
basically, and older family members – need to challenge them to tell us about
their lives. We need to know what it was like when their generation was out
making the history we hold so dear. Even if they have to recall times of
despair, we should know those times so we don’t repeat them.
3. Challenge our teachers
This is mostly for the grade school crowd (none of whom may
read this, but whatever)…I don’t mean to talk more in class or procrastinate or
see if you can talk your way into a better grade. Don’t challenge their
institutional authority. Challenge their intellectual authority. How do you
know what they’re saying is right? Is it because it’s in a book? Remember, war
stories are only written by the victors. No, that quote does not pertain to
history alone.
For the postsecondary crowd: you pay…or someone pays on your
behalf…for your professors to do their job. I know (personally) that a bunch of
them hate teaching: especially if they’re at PWIs. So what? Part of their job
is to be there for you. Make them fulfill that. If you want to learn something
your class should cover, tell them. If you want to learn something that’s not
in the course description, make them point you in the right direction.
For those not in school anymore: you have teachers. Find
them.
4. Challenge our friends
Now I’m not saying to walk up to your confidante and say
“your inactivity is what’s keeping us down”. One, it’s horribly rude; and two,
it’s patently false. That said, our real friends should be able to accept a few
words from us encouraging them to further help with this grand scheme. Such efforts
could easily be collaborative: volunteering together, participating in a book
club, even social outings such as trips to the theater or to art shows. Every
little bit helps.
5. Challenge other black people (or others of your race)
You have to be suave in how you do this. I’m not even sure
whether it matters more if you’re black in this case. Most black people I know
wear their blackness on their sleeves, and you don’t want to come across as
questioning them. In the case of non-black folk, I imagine this could go a
couple ways. I could see people not wanting to appear racist, but I could also
see people not wanting to become whatever the racial equivalent is to
“tree-huggers”.
6. Challenge non-black people (or people not of your race)
Basically, the last paragraph applies here as well. The
difference is that the possible negative consequences are magnified. Throw
politics in the pot and things get really messy. This can be mitigated by
setting and circumstance, but generally speaking it’s best to exercise caution
when approaching different-race people on the subject. Employ sound reasoning.
Make people aware that you know your position…and more importantly, that you
don’t know theirs. Express the fact that you have a common goal. Last but not
least, speak/act with conviction.
-
I could talk about the whole journey/single step thing, but
you all get that already. Y’all also know the bit about people who fail to
learn from history. As such, I’ll try this: with any manmade product, it has to
be…well, made…before it is.
While reading your post(specifically at item 4) I realized that I hadn't made any friends that were "Black". They either had inclinations like mine, that quietly observed Black achievement and greatness but distanced self from the standard of the current Black perception. Which, is frustrating. Outside of my last relationship & VSB, I'd be completely devoid of this "Blackness" and rather fully immersed in "Humanness"(which is already complex enough). Such a thought provoking effort you've given. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteShoot, the rest of us should be so lucky to only be concerned with humanness. That's the endgame (unlikely as it is) of all this: to become the best of ourselves and appreciate the best of others so we can move past these things and just live.
DeleteYou made me think of my cousin who grew up in San Diego. She's never dated a black man in her life, and likely never will. Has virtually no concept of things that I would consider to be on a hypothetical colloquial entrance exam of black culture. I can't imagine that life, and I've been accused plenty of not being black enough. I need to call her and see how she's doing.
You do know that I am from San Diego? the irony is endless.
ReplyDeleteIt's all just American history really.........I mean that's what it is right?!?
ReplyDelete