I was working on my taxes and when I got down to the end, I
noticed that I owed a dollar.
Yes, ‘a’ – as in one – dollar.
Now, I’m not going to rant and rave about the fact that I
actually owe money…for the first time ever…or that I don’t make enough to owe
money, or even the reason that I owe money (somehow my employer has me as
having two exemptions, when I clearly have one).
There are a few reasons I’m calm – now – about giving Barack
a dollar. First and most obvious, it’s one dollar. I know people who pay
thousands…as in multiple. Thing I’m mad at about the dollar is that the danged
stamp to mail the check is going to cost almost half that.
The payment being so small shows that even with the
exemption nonsense, it still worked out pretty well. I’d rather break even than
comparatively struggle all year and then get some arbitrary lump sum. I don’t
have any financial concerns that I can’t handle, so no balloon payment is
necessary. However, neither of those is the main reason I’m calm.
The main reason I’m calm about paying a dollar is that I’m
a…Democrat, liberal, lefty, progressive, or whatever term describes my
political affiliation. To get away from the point a bit: how many Republicans
would take the deal of paying $1 in taxes for Mitt Romney to be president
today?
Exactly.
Digression coming…it does feel like I’m fulfilling a civic
duty, but it goes deeper than that. Paying this dollar is a show of personal
integrity: a way to say “look, I support higher taxes and this is my proof”. I
have no problem with my check being slightly smaller than it was last year due
to the payroll tax cut ending. It is what it is. As I said on Twitter: if
you’re that concerned about two percent, then you’re not budgeting correctly at
all. For most people, that two percent probably costs less (per check) than a
decent evening out.
The same principle applies with this dollar payment. Before
I go on, I’d be a little less cool if it were $100 but I think the same thought
process would eventually prevail. If we want things from our government, we
have to pay for them – the same way that we have to pay for things we want from
anything/one/where else. Roads, schools, defense (going to leave this alone for
now), public employ – none are free, and none should be. The “system” that we
have allows us to make our money and live our lives. Is there variance among
us? Of course. Funny thing about that variance is that the people who benefit
the most want to contribute the least, comparatively speaking. Nevermind the
fact that our (U.S.) national tax rate is among the lowest in the world as is.
Long story short, I believe that if you’re going to be on
this side of the political ledger that a willingness to buck up and contribute
is a show of integrity. I’m not saying it’s the only show of integrity or that
those who disagree with my stance lack integrity. Most Democrats say only the
rich should pay more: I obviously agree that the rich should contribute more,
but also think that the rest of us shouldn’t shy away from the responsibility.
I wouldn't mind paying. I wish I could get all my money and they send me a bill at the end of the year. Of course this wouldn't work for everyone as they'd have to be disciplined enough not to spend and save their tax money each paycheck. But I'd rather do that than give the gov't an interest-free loan.
ReplyDeleteThat makes a lot of sense, but I'm pretty sure you're correct in your statement that people wouldn't have the discipline to plan correctly. Re: the interest-free loan, I just charge that to the game.
DeleteMan....listen. It ruptures my ear drums to hear any political positioning, other than Liberal, crying about the wasted tax dollars. More & more, White males seem insipid & basal(I know it's wrong to generalize but golly gee). Liberals are owning up to a problem that we couldn't stop from happening while the other side throws tantrums like they didn't create the most of it. It's like trying to get my 6 year old niece to clean the room she dirtied "It's too hard!!! Waaah!"
ReplyDelete