As we all know, the holiday season is fast approaching.
Allow me a little bit of time (really, this one will be short) to talk about
two fairly recent holiday traditions that I’m not too enthused about.
1. Gift Cards
I don’t have that much of a problem with gift cards. I
seldom give them out, and I can’t recall ever giving a card as a Christmas
present. I’ve received plenty, though. I’m thankful for all gifts, but I have
two issues with gift cards.
First, they tie you in to particular stores (as most people
don’t get the Visa type cards). I got a gift card from Starbucks last year:
haven’t set foot in a Starbucks since. I got two from Subway: only times I’ve
gone to Subway were to use the cards. I still have a Macy’s card that I
haven’t…long story short, I have a plethora of unused gift cards.
Second, gift cards benefit the stores more than anyone
(unless you play it exactly right). Most people give some round figure via gift
cards: $25, $50, and so on. Well, there’s this thing called tax that causes
problems with that. Either the recipient has to come up off the tax or they
have to buy something less expensive – and that’s where we get to the real
problem.
Anyone care to imagine…okay, this might not be so short
after all – but y’all read these enough to know better anyway…how much change
is left over on gift cards? Let’s just speak hypothetically: if 100,000 people
leave ten cents – which isn’t much at all – on a gift card, that’s a free
$10,000 of profit a store gets…for doing absolutely nothing. People usually
leave much more than that, so I’ll let y’all do the math.
“Spend everything that’s on it”…well, then you likely run
over and give the store – you guessed it – more money.
I’m not a fan of companies making free money, as y’all could
probably tell from the last month of entries. Gift cards are the stores’
greatest hustle.
And now, for the other recent tradition – which works my
nerves much more than cards.
2. Mass Texts
Now, I know I’m not alone in this one. I don’t know anyone
who likes receiving mass texts, so I’ll skip over the “what” and get into the
“why”. As we all do, I spend my holidays doing one of two things: sleeping or
spending time with family. I cannot stand having either activity interrupted,
and the notification sound of a text usually does that because…well, it’s the
holidays. You kind-of expect your phone to go off because perhaps a friend or
relative calls.
If a friend or relative calls, or even leaves an authentic
text (I’ll get to the definition in a minute), that’s passable. At least
there’s a genuine sentiment there, and that’s part of my definition of an
authentic text. An authentic text is basically a text in which 1) there is
genuine emotion or information displayed; and 2) there is some identifying
characteristic of the uniqueness of the conversation. Mass texts fall obviously
fall short of that.
My simple rule of thumb is that it needs to have my name in
it. If it doesn’t, I consider it a mass text (depending on the verbiage) and
reserve the right to side-eye over Christmas dinner. I’d get into who usually
perpetrates these crimes against technology (people who are new to texting,
i.e. older folks), but I’m getting close to 600 so I’ll leave be.
I would rather – no, much rather – someone just not say
anything at all than send a mass text. “It’s the thought that counts”…think of
my time and what I likely stopped doing to read your lousy text that went to
300 people, not to mention the fact that you don’t think any more of me than
person #300. Shoot, I may be person #300: and if I am, I don’t need you wishing
me anything anyway.
If I sound mean…I just do. People can’t chinch their way
into showing that they care about others. Problem with society now: always
trying to take shortcuts. You’ll send good tidings and cheer to everyone on
your VIP list of nature and memory. Don’t worry about anyone else.
---
*raises hand sheepishly* I'm a gift card giver out of laziness and frustration deciding what to give folks. Especially my sister. You have a point about the profits made, I'll chalk it up as a convenience fee on my end. Visa/Amex/MC now offer them but there's a $4 - 6 fee added at the time of purchase so they make a really healthy profit.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with you on the mass texts.
I guess this is where my politics get involved: I imagine the change going to some CEO. If I thought it went to the front-line employee, I'd be much more in favor of it. Like the Papa John's thing: I'd pay the 15-20 cents to fund health care for the employees. To fund John Schnatter's vacation? Not so much.
DeleteMass texts are impersonal and trifling in my book. Unless you're inviting a bunch of people to a barbecue or a house party, I'm not a fan either.
ReplyDeleteNow gift cards, that's an entirely different animal altogether. I will accept gift cards rain or shine. American Express, Visa, Mastercard and Barnes and Noble are the gifts that keep on giving to me. I don't mind adding a little extra money to the bill. I always use every single dime of a gift card. I'm a sales supervisor by profession and gift cards are how we motivate sales reps to sell....that and their commission. But an extra gift card will motivate them to work just a little harder for a goal and I don't look a "gift card horse" in the mouth either. As long as I don't have to pay the convenience fee, then I'm fine.
I certainly see where you're coming from, and I'd likely appreciate gift cards more if people even put more thought into those. Let's just say "people who are more likely to go to Starbucks" gave me the Starbucks cards I referenced...knowing good and well I'm more of a Champs/Foot Locker guy. Dang, I need to use this Darden card before Crabfest ends at Red Lobster.
DeleteJ.A.H. my daughter is a college student at a SEC school and she works at Red Lobster part time. She makes killer tips on the weekend and she gets a discount on the food. Just to help her make ends meet, I will occasionally give her a Red Lobster gift card.
DeleteFor me though, that Barnes and Noble giftcard that I seem to get every single year from my staff or someone else I know goes a long way since I'm a confirmed bibliophile.
I'm a gift card giver, because of the lack of time to pick something out, and it's easier. The mass text thing: Yeah. Kinda guilty of that too. But I don't do it as much any more because the reasons stated above. It's just played out. Maybe that'll be on my 'Things Not to Do in 2013' List. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou can get away with that stuff, though...
DeleteDitto!
ReplyDelete