I usually don’t talk about myself, but I will say I’m well
experienced in the area of thought. I have all the nice little scholastic
accolades and the degrees and all that. Y’all have seen me talk about Mensa,
and hopefully some of these here entries also show that I’m pretty good at this
thought thing (whether you all agree with what I say is another matter
altogether).
Here’s one thing I’ve noticed: thought without action means
pretty much nothing.
The image I’ve always had in mind when thinking about this is of a person pulling back on a rubber band, in a slingshot fashion. As I’m sure everyone knows, there’s a direct relationship between how far back you pull the rubber band and how much energy there is inside that rubber band - which of course is released when you let go (it’s much easier to think of this in terms of an actual slingshot and how far the object travels).
The further you pull back the band, the more energy you
store. However, there’s another relationship present. The longer you hold that
rubber band, the less energy the rubber band has. Feel free to try this little
experiment in physics if you like. There are a few reasons for this, but I
won’t bore you with kinetics. I’ll skip to the part where I go back to how this
relates to thought and action.
We can have the most wonderful thoughts in the world as
people. We can intend to volunteer somewhere. We can mean to hold the door open
for people. We can strongly consider making a donation to a person or a cause.
However, if we don’t act on these things then those who need our help…still
need our help - because we didn’t ‘do’ anything.
As you all probably know, I think one of the biggest
problems we have in society is that we’ve forgotten how to act (as in “do”, not
“behave”…although sometimes I question that too). That’s why action is so
shocking and relevant now. The occupy movements wouldn’t have registered a blip
on the collective radar a generation or two ago. They were all the rage last
year, though. That’s because the participants’ actions were so far from the
norm that we took notice. Same with the Nuns on the Bus right now. They’re
taking action to get their message out concerning social ills.
We don’t have to live in tents and protest or travel across
several different states to take action, and our actions don’t have to be that
dramatic. We don’t even have to help our fellow human beings (although it would
be nice). We can better the world simply by taking more action ourselves. Maybe
it’s by going to the gym that extra day or partaking in some other form of
personal enlightenment or enrichment.
Or perhaps our actions can/should involve others. I do think
that niceness is contagious, and that an ‘epidemic’ thereof would do the world
a lot of good. Helped people help others, and they often help themselves as
well. It’s so easy to give people shots of ridicule, but I would guess it’s a
lot better to give them shots of compassion, of energy, of support.
Anyway, if you’re thinking of doing something - anything -
that could help the world in any way (even if it’s just by helping yourself)…go
ahead and do it. Let the rubber band go. Watch it fly. You may not know exactly
where it’s going, but you know through basic physics that it’s going to move
forward.
i think about this everyday when i see a pregnant or elderly person get on the bus, and no one gets up.
ReplyDeletei wonder what happened to the world. how did we all become so self-absorbed? where are the manners?
it makes me sad. but hopefully hasn't changed me. i try to not let it.