With WrestleMania in the rearview and “NBA Playoffs” at the
‘Next Exit’ sign, I thought it’d be fun to draw up some comparisons (dang:
didn’t realize this one was this long…yes, I wrote the body before the intro
and close). No, I'm not saying the NBA is scripted.
Tim Duncan: The Undertaker
If you know both, you pretty much have to agree that this is
the best comparison of them all. I actually tweeted this Sunday after TD put a
couple ferocious dunks on the Lakers (the first one was particularly nasty).
Both are big guys, obviously. Both were rather versatile early in their
careers. Both were overshadowed in their primes by more flashy guys (Shaq,
Kobe, Iverson, HBK, Austin, Rock). Both have a history of winning the most when
it counts (4 titles, WM streak). Both work more limited schedules as they near the
ends of their careers, but both can still provide the big spots when necessary.
LeBron James: John Cena
I know half of y’all consider LeBron to be a villain. That’s
fine, have your opinion. However, LeBron is the face of the league. There’s no
denying that. Probably why those of you who consider him a villain have that
sentiment. Oh yeah, LeBron’s the champ right now too. He smiles, he jokes
around, he does a lot for kids. Both are also in their tenth years in their
respective businesses.
Kobe Bryant: CM Punk
This is where things start to get a little dicey. I think
Punk is what he says he is. I don’t share the same feeling about Kobe…although
he’s very close. However, both like being the villain. Neither of them minds
beating you within an inch of your figurative life. Both are extremely driven.
Both are perfectionists. Both were born in the greatest birth year of all time.
Both get more banged up than they let on and both work through those injuries
more than they should. We’ve already seen Kobe go down, and Punk could
certainly use a break.
(Ed. note: this was written before hearing that Punk could be out until SummerSlam.)
Carmelo Anthony: Sheamus
You know how you have that guy who could be good, but his
greatest problem is that people push him as being better than he really is?
Enter these two. When people say these guys are pretty good, I can tolerate the
conversation. When people say these guys are as good as the four guys mentioned
directly above, I assume they left their sense at home that day. They both lack
on one “side of the ball” (defense for Carmelo, talking for Sheamus) far too
much to be considered elite.
Dwight Howard: Ryback
First of all, neither of them needs to ever speak in public
again. Dwight doesn’t say anything and Ryback doesn’t say anything either
(Ryback just does it badly). Like Sheamus and Carmelo, they don’t bring the
versatility needed to place themselves among the top guys. Both have chances to
be future faces of their respective locales, but both have to grow before
they’ll be ready for that. They’re like the guys above them, but they have a
little more time to change things.
Dwyane Wade: Alberto Del Rio
These guys fight hard. They’re both versatile. They both get
nicked up every now and again. People consider both to be sidekicks, although
both have been and could be stars in their own right. Both have people on their
arms – in different ways – who are entertaining (Gabrielle Union and Ricardo
Rodriguez). Both seem to get overlooked in favor of people who aren’t quite as
talented, and I really don’t get why.
Kevin Durant: Daniel Bryan
If you ask me who the second-best wrestler…okay, sports
entertainer…is in WWE, I’m going to say it’s Bryan. I’m not saying KD’s #2 in
the NBA, but he’s close enough to make this work. I underrated both when they
started. Both grew on me: especially Bryan. Both suffered bitter losses in
Miami last year, even though they were pretty much on top of their games at
those points. Both are far better in their supposed “weak areas” than you
think, or even see at first glance.
Russell Westbrook: Kane
This one had to go, given the last one. Both of them provide
strange visuals: Brook through his clothes, Kane through…well, his clothes. The
mask and fake hair add to that for Kane. Both are joined at the hip to people
who are better than they are (the couple above, of course). Both take the train
off the tracks a bit when they try to take the lead, which is probably why
neither of them has really been given the opportunity to do so.
---
Okay, that was fun. Now that I think about it, watching the
Lakers without Kobe is like watching WWE without Punk. Sigh.
You know J.A.H. it's easy for anyone who reads this to see just how much you love both "sports".
ReplyDeleteActually, I'm not that much of an NBA fan. I've probably watched more games this season than any since the beginning of the 2000s, mainly because I've found myself at a sports bar on many a night. Wrestling is the far greater love of the two. I'm more into football and baseball.
DeleteI stopped watching the NBA when "he himself" retired. It just hasn't been the same to me since.
DeleteIt hasn't been the same period...my NBA watching was almost non-existent from 2003-08. I slowly got back into it thanks to my social circles. I couldn't have written this piece two years ago.
Delete